View Single Post
      01-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #30
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
So, after looking at the latest lease residuals and money factors, coupled with the great deals some of the dealers who frequent these forums, I made the decision to part ways with my 2009 335i Coupe Sport Pack car and order a Euro Delivery M3 convertible. I figured that the payment for this car would be in the low $600s, which is amazing considering the price of the car. Then I drove and M3 Convertible for the first time like I would drive the car 75% of the time, and that is driving it in traffic, running errands and generally using it for what most normal people use a car for, not for its true intent which is to have as much fun behind the wheel as you possibly can. Now, it accomplishes this last feat incredibly well, so it makes a great toy. Then again my 06 SLK 55 with 14,000 miles on the clock is even more fun as a toy. However, my goal was to get one car and sell the SLK and the 335. Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is 2/3rds that of a 335 and the car (although I know on a track is faster) does not feel any quicker in real world driving.

Now, the car dynamically is brilliant, even in the overweight convertible version. If it were not for the dual clutch transmissions in VW/Audi, I would have nothing but praise for the DCT in the MC. The leather is sublime, the engine makes incredible noises and revs unlike anything outside of those prancing horses from Maranello. A retractable hard top on a four place car is a great thing for both security and foul weather. Individually, these parts are simply awesome. Put into one package, and on the track... WOW! On the road, BOO!

Thus, it looks like I am going to keep the 335i (lease is $550 a month) and the SLK 55 for at least a little while longer. Would have loved to simplified my life and gotten one car for everything, but the 335 is just a better all around daily car in my opinion, and the SLK (at least in 55 form) is very rare, and with that fat 5403cc mill under the hood, is still a blast to drive (even if the 7 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Hate me if you must, but for anyone out there considering an M3 over a 335 for daily use, think twice before you make the final decision.
i wouldnt get an m3 convertible. wast of a great engine. if i was to get a convertible id get porsche turbo... fastest convertible ive seen. of course there is one problem i cant afford it.
Appreciate 0