View Single Post
      06-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #103
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
I own a GT500 and have an M3 on order. The Mustang is a muscle car. Its got tons of torque and HP and bucks like crazy. Its really hard to hold the rear tires down all the way to 80mph. Its a crazy type fun of brute force. It's suspension is stiff, but not track worthy unless you send it off to Shelby for the supersnake package, which I'm not going to do. I don't want a rough ride all the time.

The M3 that I test drove is refined power. Its a luxery sports car and with EDC and M drive, it lets you set options. Also the DTC is an outstanding option not available on the mustang. However the 6 speed manual in the GT500 is outstanding, especially with a shelbly short throw shifter I installed aftermarket.

But the cars serve totally different purposes. If performance is all you care about, they are comparable. But if you want options to tune your car on the fly with EDC/M sport boost and experience a very well designed DCT, the M3 is a far better car.

Where the GT500 is going to pull away from the M3 is at high speeds, off the line the Mustang just can't get any traction. If I could get a bite off the line in the Shelby, I'd be ripping most cars doors off. But thats not going to happen. I'm not going to mod to a stiff suspension and replace the tires.

I will soon own both. And I will use both differently. Most importantly, I'm getting the sedan cause I have a 4 month old daughter. Second important factor is I wanted to be able to have a good ride when shes in the car, and when out, be able to dial it up for some fun.

So my point is the performance will be comparable, but the versatility will be totally different. The M3 is an engineering masterpeice. The mustang is a muscle car, designed to be an affordable sports car.
Appreciate 0