View Single Post
      10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #30
ConradConrad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 TiAg 335i

Your decision should be made on how many autox events you plan on attending.
How many events do you want to do, how into it do you want to get?
A s2000 will be much more forgiving autox than the 5.0. It will also be in a different class and have different competition.
Now if you mod either one you will change classes and have harder competition. Thus a supercharger 5.0 is not much of a autox vehicle but a 5.0 w/o supercharger and with several $$ in suspension, brakes and tires might.

I had a friend who had the bare minimum mods allowed done to a s2000( kn drop in, brake pads) and would pull some jacks and race tires and tool box on a tiny trailer behind his s2000 to auto x events.

I've done a few autox events with different cars and I will tell you I had the most fun and best times with a miata with tires and good brake pads. This is because the autox I did wasn't on tracks but cone setups where you never really reach high speeds 1-2-3 gears. A 5.0 with a supercharger or even 500hp doesn't have much of a 1st gear. With that said if you plan on doing like 2-3 events a year total then by all means don't hold back and get that sexy 5.0 - preferably in that bright blue with black accents.
Appreciate 0