10-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
As I wrote last day in that post, some problems were reported in Italy about the engine. From an Italian Forum I can try to translate what was reported:

1st problem
some engines could switch off during the run.The cars in object (engine s65) were produced from 01-06 to 31-08-2007. It was reported that sometimes and only inside the first 2000 km of life, the engine could switch off, when it is on idle, and with all the wheel turned to the right or left end side.
The reason is the incorrected application of DME: too big friction inside the engine togheter with secondary components of the engine was not completely considered.To solve this little problem it is necessary to work on chip n.27. The new electronic setting will be done using ProgmanV 27 or superior.

2th problem)
it was reported a slightly and periodic hammering noise with the engine running at about 650 rpm-m, and with an oil temperature more than 90 degrees. Due to the normal propagation of the noise, it is possible to note it inside the cabin expecially in the right side.
It is also possible to note phisically this hammering noise, putting the hand over the oil filter cover.
All the cars produced from 01-06-2007 are affected.Untill a not defined period of production.The noise is generated from the forces of the internal cylinder combustion and the distribution system.
At the moment there still not exists a remedy.They still are studying a solution that could be retrofittable.The tests are under process.
IMPORTANT: this noise is only a defect affecting the passenger's CONFORT and in no ways has some conseguences on the engine life .

So they seems little problems and I wanted to share thìs info expecially asking to the first owners, our "friends" in this FORUM, if they had or can confirm these little problems.

It was also reported that this engine doesn't eat OIL!!!this is a good new.
The e46 was a little different in this area.

I also was told at my dealer shop, that it "seems" possible, that BMW putted a sort of electronic control trying to avoid that before the first 5000km, the engine will be used in bad ways from the owners. If this is true, this is why someone in this Forum, reported that after 5-6.000 km the engine became alive...
And if it is true this is also the reason why some people that tested really new cars, told that the engine seems too flat and not a Wow" engines.
bye

Very interesting, thanks so much for the post/translation.

This is good to know and exciting to hear that the engine comes alive.

Last edited by devo; 10-07-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0