View Single Post
      08-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

A couple of things to add:

1. This questions gets asked, and the correct answer is that DSC OFF is the best way around a track - period. It's also the best way to learn. Reasons have already been stated as to why. If you are quicker around the track with DSC ON/MDM (as some have suggested/stated), then it simply means you are not yet good enough to correct any small mistakes you are making with DSC OFF. There is no other reason you'd ever be quicker with DSC ON/MDM. And in that case, you need more instruction/practice. Racing schools on insured cars have been suggested as the best place to start. But you will always be quicker with DSC OFF if you are an experienced driver. It's not important if 10% or 60% are experienced drivers. It's also not important if people WANT to invest the time. Some people like to hang out at the track w/o being really serious. A social thing. And that's fine. But in that case, they should use good judgement and not turn DSC OFF.

2. Some have said that this is the "academic" answer, most people reading this would likely get in trouble following this "advice", etc. Maybe, but forum readers should know this is not advice, but rather the correct answer. Nobody is telling anyone what to do. People are sharing their opinions and in the end a correct answer is presented. In this case it's simple as I've stated. People are then free to make up their minds. For some, DSC ON, for others MDM, and for some DSC OFF. There is no right or wrong. A forum cannot be held accountable for people not using their heads. Just as BMW cannot be held accountable for people buying cars that exceed their driving skills and getting into accidents. Should we all put legal disclaimers in our posts now as car manufactures like BMW do? That's silly IMO. Are we here to educate or provide answers? In a way both, and this has been done in this thread, but we are here mostly to provide answers and share our experiences. We cannot judge the level of expertise of any forum member, nor should we. Individuals should make up their own minds. If someone provides an answer that is wrong, believe me, people will point it out. So in the end people are getting the correct information, but how they use it is always up to them.

3. With owning a high performance car like the M3, a certain responsibility falls on the owner to have good judgment. But people are people. People don't listen and will make mistakes, get into accidents, etc. It's human nature. Should we ban car manufactures from producing high performance cars because many people will act irresponsible in them? Should we push for more driver aids? We don't even have to - they are imposed on us already. Why? Because of people that don't think. Because too many people act dumb to put it bluntly. I for one don't like the direction car manufactures are going in, but that's another story.
Appreciate 0