09-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #32
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsie View Post
I had a set of WRG2's on my 135i for 2 brutal Canadian winters. They were great in everything except deep snow or very slippery conditions. Impressive all-season tire, tire compound is a bit softer, so it wears faster. Good handling and grip in the summer and quiet. I'd compare the winter traction to be on par with a good high performance winter tire, like the Pirelli Winter Sottozero II 240 I have on my M3.

FWIW, I had a set of Dunlop M3's on my '07 530xi Touring, and that car could go anywhere anytime in the winter, but surprisingly a set of Continental ExtremeContact all-seasons performed just as well in the winter. I got tired of the fall and spring swaps between winter/summer sets, so I tried a set of all-seasons. Worked perfectly. Obviously the AWD made a difference.
I would agree with this 100%. I used the Wintersport M3 on my e46 M3 and that thing was a mountain goat. And they wear exceptionally well with the V-rating.

I have also ran (and continue to run) the WRG2's on a FWD Honda civic. When I first put them on one winter, I took them through a blizzard with 30cm of snow and made it home through a 5 hour drive. I have used them for 3 years and they wear exceptionally well. Not as grippy in my opinion as a true winter, but I think the real thing you have to ask yourself is how often you will have to drive through lots of snow. In my city, the snow is cleared off major roads within 24-48 hours. Residential is not so fortunate, so snow can accumulate, but also gets packed down very quickly as well. I find that more often than not in the winter, I spend about 90% of my time driving on roads that have been paved, sanded, and salted and really are bone dry. At that point, I think is kind of sucks to be confined to tires that are squirrely.

IMHO, I would source the Wintersport M3's. Aggressive tread pattern, wears fantastic, and you don't sacrifice handling in the drier conditions of winter.
Appreciate 0