03-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
reading is a gift, I said the M3 is about the same as the 911 turbo. I didn't say I wish it weighed 3550, I said that is what has been reported (numerous) magazines have weighed the M3 and it has been under 3600 lbs which is indeed colse to the listed weight of the 911 turbo (from this test).

BMW lists M3 3700 with driver (that's not curb weight) btw.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-4.html

Maybe the sedan with 19" etc weighs 36xx lbs but from several magazines R&T, C&D etc.. which are weighing the cars (list curb weight with full gas)
Well, maybe you are not a gifted as you might think. So, try not to get your panties in a bunch.

Although, true, my statement was made in jest. Maybe, I should have said we rather than I, as I am quite confident that all of us wish the M did weigh about 3550.

What you did say was: "Interesting to note the 911 turbo curb weight was 3550 which is about the same as the M3". (Of course, that was until you edited it.) The turbo is listed at 3495 on Porsche's website and the M3 at 3704 on BMW's website. What I find interesting is that Porsche can add two turbos, AWD, a sunroof, bigger brake calipers, wheels and tires and still come in lighter than the M; the disparity differs depending on the source. (Porsche and BMW may or may not manipulate their weights)

On a side note, I believe that much of the 5+ second advantage to the GT-R was due to the much stickier tires. The Bridgestones used on that car have more stick than Porsche's PS2s.

Last edited by devo; 03-22-2008 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0