View Single Post
      01-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #71
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMckay View Post
GTS is a bigger engine as I said this is what it would take. However it still does not have much more torque down low and still makes its power up top. Gthal was talking about an extra 250-350 foot pounds. I understand it is possible to increase torque and keep a high revving engine but if you want 300 more foot pounds you would need to really increase the displacement of the engine (unless you use FI) and if you do want the torque available really low and in the middle than you need to tune the engine delivery for that and that would make it impossible to make peak power at such a high rpm.
Really? The conversation was about an M3 with 550-600 pound feet of torque? Must've missed that.

The GTS makes about ten percent more torque than the standard M3, peaking at a slightly lower rpm. In my opinion, if this engine were in the M3 there would be no more talk about a soft low end.

Given the car's other attributes, the 4.4 liter power plant would address one of the car's (very minor, IMO) weaknesses. It would liven up the lower end considerably. It might even address the car's only other (more major) weakness, which is fuel economy. With more torque available, you could go for a more aggressive overdrive in top gear, as Porsche has recently done, and thus improve highway mileage thru reduced pumping losses and friction.

It's terrific now, but with the 4.4 and gearing changes it could in fact be the almost perfect car - closer than anyone has gotten before.

Bruce
Appreciate 0