View Single Post
      03-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #93
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Read closely. I am not talking about the difference between BMW's SMG and BMW's (or anyone else's) DCT. Those two are both automatic transmissions - both electrohydraulically shifted automatic transmissions, in fact (albeit with very dissimilar implementations, yes).

His point - at least the one I agreed with - is that a true sequential manual transmission is not an automatic transmission at all, and secondarily cannot, in fact (very much by design) shfit gears in any way other than sequentially.

Note Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin all have gearboxes that are the same in user operation and in internal mechanics to BMW's "SMG". Unlike the term "DCT" however, which is often applied generically to the dual clutch gearboxes used by BMW (Getrag), Audi (BW), Porsche (ZF), the term SMG has never been genericized to cover all single clutch automatics or auto-manuals. The reason for this is basic - its because that term was incorrectly used by BMW to begin with. Everyone else got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Well, I disagree with both of you as its operation is what distinguishes it. Of course it's very different mechanically and electronically. Designs will evolve, but SMG and DCT are operated very much the same.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0