05-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #127
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
It's a huge privilege and something I know I'd enjoy career-wise. I won't be going through med school 'to get through' if I commit, I'll be there 100%; its just committing the rest of my life to something I'm having a hard time with...

Some kids decide they're going into medicine before they pick their undergrad school. No way would I believe that they 'love it' at that stage
You've already gotten some good advice, but I'll throw my experience into the mix.

I was in a similar situation as you around junior year of college - liked the idea of going into medicine, but wasn't sure if I was committed to the whole process.

I was a finance major, so I decided to work for a while and then compare that to my experiences of shadowing docs and doing research. After working for a while, I enjoyed making a few bucks, but I realized that something major was missing; as cheesy as it sounds, I just didn't feel fulfilled by crunching numbers and making powerpoint presentations (I was an analyst). Some people enjoy it, but I felt that if I continued down that path, my life would be lacking purpose.

So, I switched back to the MD track, applied and got into medical school, and so far I absolutely love it. But be warned: it's not an easy path, and it will really tax you and stress you to your breaking point. You need to be comfortable with knowing that you'll spend the prime of your life in a library or in the wards, while your friends are busy making money and partying.

The best advice I can give you is get as much exposure as you can. Volunteer, shadow a doc, whatever you can manage. If you're still not convinced, do something else. Good luck!
Appreciate 0