View Single Post
      12-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #71
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I still don't really agree. In fact, I can't think of a single manufacture where pricing of their lineup and acceration specs are in sync. This is especially the case when you look at the different goals of different products accross the lineup. Certainly you don't think an M3 is slower to 60 than a 750Li? For that matter compare the base price of an X6 35i (never mind the 50i for a moment, which the M3 will still beat) with an E90 M3.
I'll qualify one more time and say the relationship applies within categories; comparisons with the x series or luxury models aren't relevant. 4 seconds is still 'super car' territory and will not be a target performance goal for the next M3 given what is acceptable in the expected price range and competitive set. And although not a defined goal, I do think that BMW will take the opportunity to charge more than planned if a sub 4 second benchmark is achieved.

Like I said, 0-60 and price are not necessarily explicitly causal but they are correlated (within categories).

A different thought is that the next m3 will get performance very similar to the e60 m5. It's like we're one performance generation removed from the big brother in the line up.
Appreciate 0