i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
By the way for the people who mentioned cooking at home - do any of you guys know how to make a quick and dirty parmesan risotto?

Risotto is probably one of my favorite comfort foods but restaurants generally charge astronomical prices for what I perceive to be a relatively simple and pedestrian dish.

I've recently discovered some pretty good "boxed" risottos but I feel like I could make a higher quality product from scratch with just a bit more effort.

I'm mostly worried about how to make the sauce. It's my understanding that a proper risotto usually requires home cooked stock (chicken or beef), but I don't have ready access to chicken or beef bones to make a proper stock.

What do you guys do for risotto?
you can get arborio rice but not bones?

never made risotto, but for bones you can salvage them whenever you have meals where theyre around. thanksgiving, costco rotisserie chicken, kfc, etc are a small example of possible sources. my mom used to make a really good turkey rice porridge from thanksgiving leftovers.

i dunno how readily available these cuts are in your area, but in addition to the normal cuts, you wanna include really bony parts with lots of connective tissue like collar, neck, back, knuckles, feet, knees, etc. the gelatin from the connective tissue will give the stock a more mouth coating quality and fuller body.

Last edited by i dunno; 12-19-2013 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0