View Single Post
      04-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
ajmbmwweb
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What you posted is not quite correct, is what I'm saying...

1) About BMW "letting" other manufacturers use their patented iDrive. A very quick search did not show anything close to that, only that in fact the systems are quite different in application, although the concept is similar.

2) BMW's xDrive is comparable to Quattro, not superior. Again, do a search and see for yourself several magazine comparos for your own conclusion. Now, if you add the new Dynamic Performance Control system (DPC) to the xDrive then we are talking, as it is slightly better implementation than even the Honda's SH-AWD. This implementation is so good that the next Quattro system is said to have rear side to side torque distribution as the SH-AWD and xDrive DPC systems.

3) M-DCT and DSG are the same type of transmission (automated dual clutch). Something tells me that your dealer was somehow thinking that either the DCT or DSG was a SMG-type (automated single clutch) of transmission...

i think all that was originally said was that the integrated controller first came on a bmw, then an audi, so there was no "copying" as the original poster said. which is better is a matter of opinion, but whomever says idrive is hard to use either blindly reads magazine reports or hasnt taken more than 5 minutes to learn how to use their 50 grand plus car.

bmw's x-drive may not be "superior" to audi's, but audi has been using the same system for a few decades, while bmw constantly updates their system. (one of the more recent improvements you mention in your post). audi considers an innovation in their quattro to be changing form 50-50, to 40-60.

mdct and dsg are the same insofar as they both shift gears and use 2 clutches. theyre probably very different mechanically. also, we wont know how good dsg actually is until it gets put on one of the audis that actually deserves it. wierd how for so many years they havent put it on a performance audi.

as for the idrive update, it would be odd if a 328i had a better nav system than the brand new m3. i wonder how they will resolve this discrepancy
Appreciate 0