09-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boost View Post
I didn't apply oil to the filter or filter housing
Probably just that buddy, so don't worry; it takes a couple of seconds for the oil pump to pressurize the system. I filled the housing with oil once new filter was installed, and car started normally. If you have a 6MT, remember clutch always makes a clank that becomes a bang if you release the pedal before it's done. Could have been that too.

Again, if you drained both sumps, reinstalled both plugs with new washers, installed new filter properly, replaced both O-rings on the filter housing cap, and poured 8.8L of oil, there's nothing to worry about. That's EXACTLY how a dealer would have done it. But next time suck the housing dry and fill it with new oil as high as possible after installing new filter; that way you'll do it better than any dealer . Plus the fact you can drain it better too. I had to put 9.5L to finally reach full. Last time it was 9.3L (1,200-mile service), with the 0.2L being the sucked amount from the housing. Hey, you did put a film of oil on the oil cap, right ? Take care.
Appreciate 0