View Single Post
      09-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #65
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

I had the RE SSK. But the fit is not as nice as I liked and I removed it after a few thousand miles to make modification to it.

The problems I had:
-tiny play in where the WSR connect to the shift linkage on the transmission and also where it connect to the shifter. this manifest as play in all direction once installed. The oem shifter did not have this problem so it took away the precision that I was looking for.
-spring washer that the RE SSK came with. the oem clip already has a little spring load build in, the extra spring washer took away some left/right movement. After install, the shifting to the side that loaded up the spring washer felt more vague than the other side.
-there is a constant whining sound on freeway from the delrin bushings on the shift carrier.

What I ended up doing is having the WSR coated with an extra 0.005 thickness to take away the play. I bought various thickness washers and fitted them in place of the spring washer so that the clip tensions feels the same as the oem one. I bought oem bushings and grind them down and cut them to put in the shift carrier in place of the delrin. I noticed no ill effect on the shift engagement than the delrin but it completely got rid of the whine. The oem bushing already has a hard plastic inside and actually has very little rubber on the side when installed. Wish they had made the shift carrier to use the oem bushings from the start.

It's quite a bit of work but I absolutely love my shifter right now with the ZHP shift knob. I however, do not recommend the short shifter as is the way it came from the manufacturer. My .02 only obviously.

Last edited by e92zero; 09-11-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0