01-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #74
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
Does anyone know if Track Day insurance insures you and the other guy, if something were to happen with another car.
As always, read the policy, but my experience is that HPDE-specific insurance covers ONLY damage to your car, not damage to the track, any other cars, anyone's medical costs, or lawsuits pertaining to any of the above. On the other hand, general insurance policies whose verbiage does not exclude HPDEs (which are unfortunately getting rarer and rarer) typically have the same verbiage for all sections of their policies, which means that if you're covered for HPDEs, you get coverage for your car, property damage to the track and/or other vehicles, and liability insurance. I have Amica Mutual in Texas and their policy still only excludes practicing for or participating in any organized racing or speed contest. While I suspect that wide open track days with no instructors or classes could be construed as practicing for racing (and why I therefore avoid them), a formal HPDE could hardly be considered racing or a contest given that there are no timers, points, rankings, and not even passing without the consent of the lead car.

But again, read your specific policy!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 01-01-2014 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0