Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang View Post
I don't want to make my steering wheel shiny. However, if it makes it matte, i'll consider this product.
Why did you use Chap Wax?
It was obvious that parts of the finish of the leather had been cleaned to the point of being dull and slightly porous. Leather is naturally very dull before the surface coating is applied. I'm not talking about the tanning or dyeing, but the processes used to make the surface of the leather smooth and durable. Once that surface finish is compromised, it is very tough to recreate the finish as an end user who is not working in a leather factory!

So the chap wax is one possible approach which I used to restore the smooth feel and waterproofing of the wheel, and protect it from further damage by constant handling. It will not make the leather very shiny, but it will be less dull than before-- after several coats. Heat will cause the wax to soak in and allow further application of the product. After a few coats and a few days time I got this particular steering wheel to a point where it looked/felt good enough to not be noticeable without a close inspection in good light. Originally the wheel felt "dry" whenever I touched the over-cleaned part of it... cured that as well. Repeated contact with hands can actually improve the finish over time on a steering wheel, if the leather is not too porous and the color die is intact.

Another product worth considering is Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil, which also requires heat to perform correctly. It claims to contain "collagens" which may or may not be something similar to what is in the chap wax.

In the long run you may never perfectly match the factory finish with these home remedies, IMO, but you can make the wheel look and feel good enough to keep you from running out and buying a new one.
Appreciate 0