View Single Post
      06-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

This thing (the 6D) focuses in near pitch black as long as there is some semblance of contrast of the subject.

5DIII has heavy focus on video improvements.

Taking out video, the main thing is AF - better for moving/tracking and more focus point selections, more advanced algorithms, more cross type points, etc.

Not to be confused with AF low light capability, I think, with which the 6D is unique in ability in the current Canon lineup.

I haven't used a 5DIII.

I shoot landscapes, cityscapes, my daughters activities (preschool ballet, soccer), my son (infant) crawling about, bikes, cars, etc. For all of this, the 6D has been awesome. I use AI Servo only for the kids, all default settings so far.

I am sure the 5DIII would be even more kick ass for chasing the kiddos, but that's a lot of camera for chasing kiddos. I don't shoot birds, or pro sports. I have shot MotoGP and Superbike races with my film Rebel and my XTi and came out with decent shots.

Bottom line if you aren't a burst shooter too often, chasing targets, the 5DIII's advantages may be moot to you.

Low light meaning high ISO, both the 6D and 5DIII excel at this; however the many reviews I've read point to the 6D as having better noise pattern, easier to clean up. So I would not base the 6D vs. 5DIII decision on this factor at all.

Finally, the 6D has some features that the 5DIII does not. Namely, GPS geo tagging of all your shots, and WiFi tethering. I have used both of these extensively, my GPS is never off. I like to setup low angle shots and the WiFi with my iPad kicks major ass for this purpose. I can place the camera in places I previously wasn't able to, and still precisely focus and take a shot, remotely. The only drawback is there's no native iPad app yet, which I view as a software life cycle issue vs. a 6D feature issue, since the app will be updated and also used for newer Canons that will also be released with WiFi (I would imagine).

I made that calculated decision on features I'd use vs cost back in November, pre-ordered the 6D / 24-105L kit, and picked up a Pancake and a TS-E 17 which has kept me plenty excited and I haven't once thought I made the wrong decision.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Appreciate 0