View Single Post
      08-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
coctostan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halitosis
I am glad there are many motorsport fans and people who can appreciate fine engineering and art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Incredible collection of photos.. I didn't know AP Racing was on so many racing applications.. The Real Question is, what racing application doesn't us AP Racing?
The 'Big 3' are Alcon, AP Racing, and Brembo without a doubt as they are all involved in every facet of motorsports. Performance Friction is a key player as well but they don't have nearly as much product applications as the former three. Also from what I have read their caliper tech still trails behind the others although their discs are highly regarded, oftentimes used in place of the others.

I'm quite positive they are involved in every level of professional motorsports including Nascar, grand am, etc.
Here is a shot of a Nascar Sprint Cup setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Nice pics.

Could someone explain what all that gear is around those F1 brakes???

Maybe someone with F1 braking knowledge can chime in what all the components do for braking. Here's a couple other shots in higher-res of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
If only I could afford a set for my M... Just wow
Their Formula 'street' kits are something you can consider. They cost around the same as a Brembo GT kit if I recall correctly.
It is inaccurate to say that PFC has inferior tech. In fact they easily go head to head with AP in NASCAR, ALMS and Grandam. In fact they have won a few championships in Grandam and NASCAR. They do have far fewer applications for sure and I'm not knocking AP in any way. PFC doesn't spend much to market their calipers because they don't have any consumer offerings although that is changing somewhat.

The advantage to PFC is that their consumer grade stuff is much closer to their race stuff than most others (not many other consumer kits use monoblocks). Of the AP and Brembo kits I've seen for street cars and weekend racers few have anything in common with their race tech. It is still good quality and I would run them for sure.

AP does have a corner on the esoteric market of F1 and LMP but we could be waiting decades for that to trickle down.

Nice thread though and awesome pics. How fun it would be to squeeze the binders on these works of art.
Appreciate 0