View Single Post
      09-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #58
e90330msport
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Great spec, it's going to look fantastic!

The 'Smartphone connection' must be another new '09 feature, what's the functionality behind that?

Looking forward to seeing it!
"6NF Extended connection to the music player of the phone"

I think it allows smartphones to be in snap in adaptor (for charging and external aerial) and also have a connection with the USB media interface.

Not sure how usefull it will actually be, but at £70 I thought why not. This is the only additional option on the '09 MY.

Also found this:-

BMW, the first automaker to provide Apple iPod integration and factory Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity, announced it will add Smartphone Integration (option 6NF) starting with October 2008 production. The new option will be available in the X5, X6,1er, 3er, and 6er Series.

Owners of a variety of smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone 3G, will benefit from Smartphone Integration. The smartphone option not only charges the phone but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. It also improves telephone reception by reducing radio wave interference. It does not conflict with BMW's iPod/USB (6FL) option but rather is complementary.

Smartphone Integration means that the driver doesn't have to connect his mobile phone with integrated MP3 player to the USB audio interface. It can remain in the special snap-in adapter in the center console. Previously, in order to play music from a smartphone, the driver would have to remove the phone from the standard snap-in adapter - if in use - and plug the phone into the car's USB audio interface (6FL option).

In addition, you can have a separate MP3 player plugged into the USB audio interface and listen to music from that. If both are plugged in, the device attached to the USB connection will take priority but unplugging the USB device will return control to the smartphone.

A separate snap-in adapter is required. BMW said it will announce smartphone support shortly. It's likely we'll see the original iPhone and the new iPhone 3G on the list.