09-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Amen to that. In fact, after the S54's main bearing problems, NONE of the S65s should have had it. I'm in the possibly affected range, with a build date of Jun '08. This is what is making me reconsider keeping this car after warranty. And the idle valve too... if it doesn't fail before warranty runs out (low mileage here).

Who told you this? There's no valve inside the exhaust. Maybe you're referring to the heater that heats up the cats on cold starts . This thing looks like a fan, and sits at the back of the 'V' when you remove the plenum (below is a pic of it), but it wouldn't make that noise at all. And there's nothing else connected to the exhaust.

Yes I can understand where you are coming from and I seriously thought of selling the car off but I would lose too much money. Thats why I considered a rebuild with better bearings and parts and I will keep the car for a while now since I love the engine even more.

But for sure, I am very doubtful of BMWs quality and I would not be getting another one in the near future. Needless to say, I hope all those affected gets their ones fixed properly.

elp_jc, there was a 2009 car that also had main bearing problems here so it surprises me that it is not only the 2008 though in definitely more numbers that post 2008.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=151600&page=2

Hope this helps all.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0