View Single Post
      01-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #53
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
Did you even see that even if its in euro cycle the hybrid still did worst on that cycle which means it would still do worst in the USA. Not to mention the rediculous cost to maintain the Hybrid and it has bad resale value and doesnt even last near as long as a TDI.. and I mean seriously $3k+ for a new battery? No thanks! I can imagine all the flaws in the Hybrids as my VW had no issues out of the ordinary ever.. I guess you also missed how the 09 TDI running on diesel was getn 49mpg and the Prius getn only 42 and how much even them disliked the Hybrid.. and why would you have to find a "special deisel" location ? I mean either way believe me or not but id get more then 50mpg in my TDI. And I truly doubt a TDI Hybrid would be $30k as my TDI was $33k.. $35k seems more reasonable for a TDI Hybrid if you ask me.. Where are you geting these insight numbers from and how does that post have anything to do with the Prius if its based on the insight? Are you refering to the 3rd Gen Prius?? I will admitt yes the Prius probably does better in the city but dont most people drive on the highway anyway? Im still not a single bit impressed with this Insight in anyway though.. even if those numbers are real.. I hope the Prius is improved however Id buy a TDI Jetta or 123d in a heartbeat again, Im willing to spend $5k or so more on a car that is better in build Quality, MPG (2008- Prius and maybe the new ones unless they do better), Sportier,A car that will always have better resale value, A car that will last longer.. Maybe the Insight will do real good but it would have to be reallly impressive especially with how everyone is these days bc we all know people dont buy a car just for MPG.. however Honda and Toyota are always good at selling new so im pretty sure theyll do just fine. Thats just my opinion.
I posted the mileage of the Insight as a point of reference. All the auto journalists and civilians from different publications tried to achieve the highest possible mileage via "Eco-Assist." If the Insight does very well, the Prius should and probably will do better. I'm talking about the generation that debuts today.

A Honda Insight's battery will not cost $3,000. It is a fact that Honda's Insight Battery will not cost $3,000. They have shrunk the technology from the Civic Hybrid and implemented it on the Insight. They publicly stated that its significantly cheaper now. In fact, Honda has stated they will implement this on the worlds first "Hybrid sports-bike." It will debut in 2010.

I had a VW too and it was a horrible experience. VW still isnt up to par in quality and reliability of the Japanese. They do however have nicer looking and feeling interiors. They should given the premium in most cases.

The earlier TDI's got incredible mileage. The newer ones simply dont. I've inquired intensely over the past few months. My new business requires me to drive a lot.

You act as if these cars wont last long? I dont think you understand the nature of the Japanese Culture. Both of these car companies are predicting these cars to sell in ridiculous numbers when gas goes back up...and it will be soon.

Toyota is slipping and they are giving their CEO the ax. Everyone is slipping. The company does not reward or put up with any kind of incompetence. They were buying back rusted pick up trucks at BlueBook value. Who the hell does that?? A comrade has stated it much better than I:

*As an editorial side point, they want no part of what the Toyota Company had to do 3 years back. Remember that this a Japanese based company. That culture paved the way for one of the most humiliating events in the history of the automotive industry. Toyota was so eager to become the largest automaker in the world, they found themselves encompassed with this desire, they quickly found out bigger is not better. Their Consumer Service and Quality benchmarks hit levels of "serious concern". They lost control of the focus that made their products worth buying, quality first, quantity second. Then they found themselves having to conduct public formal apologies to the Prime Minister of Japan. While we here do not think that this would be a big deal, it is in the world of their culture. I can promise you that Honda took that event seriously and internally swore that they would never allow this to happen to them. Hence, business decisions will be applied with maturity and "concessions" that reflect the goals of its stock holders first, emotional owners second. "

QUALITY AND LONGETIVITY WILL NEVER TAKE A BACK SEAT.