swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Having DSG for the new M3 is the most exciting development yet to me (beside the V8)

BMW is probably still working on this new transmission, which is why they won't announce when the car will be available (especially in the US, since we all seem to prefer the "automagic" kind of trans)

I hope they will release the car as early as possible in the US, even if DSG isn't ready. At least those of us waiting will be able to test drive the car with a manual, and the car rags will be able to review it. I personally will wait to BUY when the new trans is ready, and I understand I will be a bit of a guinea pig... and that is OK with me. I am willing to deal with some bugs if it has this new technology. On the other hand, I am not willing to deal with one single bug if it has SMG 3. By now, SMG 3 had better be perfect and I'd better love it.
+1, exactly. I will pass on my allocation (spot #4) until I can get SMG or DSG.

On a related note look at the acceleration benefits you can get from a DSG type system. Here the 2 cars are really close with the 6M maybe a hair ahead. Either was the cars are quite closely matched. No look at how the 6M shifts impact acceleration after one or after a couple shifts. DSG has such short (practically instant) shifts that the thing acts in ways like a CVT (constantly variable transmission). The benefits to acceleration (not to mention mpg) are fantastic. Damn, I hope I don't have to wait for DSG or SMG at least much past 1st US allocations.

I guess BMW would seem quite behind the market without DGI and DSG on this flagship vehicle. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0