View Single Post
      06-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Technical

1. Changing ECU mappings in terms of timing, fuel, valve timing, rev limiter, speed limiter won't affect other systems such as launch control and DCT

2. S65 runs a MAP-based (manifold absolute pressure) system to calculate air mass, which doesn't accommodate changes to volumetric efficiency quite as well as MAF (mass air flow based) systems. Still it's a fairly given principle that if you increase VE you will increase power. It's always best though to tune your car for your modifications, to maximise your investment and primarily to make sure the car will run reliably.

3. I don't think manual gearbox will be an issue, unless you are looking at serious torque (say 700NM+). IIRC the DCT gearbox is rated to cope with up to 600NM torque, so it should accommodate even mild FI setups. If you change final drive ratio, DCT still operates correctly, although I've heard some anecdotal evidence that you may notice slight variations in behaviour.

5. Aero parts can have a major impact on handling and performance. Most good aero suppliers are working from the stock configuration and adding a specific component or set of components to achieve a certain outcome (e.g. better track handling). So stick with one aero supplier if possible. And you generally give up something to gain something with aerodynamic mods (e.g. increased drag vs increased handling). From what I've seen, most aero parts for the M3 are purely cosmetic.
Appreciate 0