View Single Post
      02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Yesterday I stopped by a local racing shop. They had just hired a tech from a dealer who had just completed the entire suite of BMW certifications. I told him I had an 08 E90 M3 about to come off warranty and the first words that came out of his mouth were, "Get rid of it now." I was floored. I must have asked 5 or 6 times, "Really? Are you sure?" At first he thought I was talking about a regular old 3-series. After he realized I had the M, he admitted they put better quality components in, thought the magnesium engine block hadn't been proven out, the 6MT is better than the DCT - but still told me BMW makes all their cars now to require repalcement after 4-5 years.

It's an understatement to say I'm disappointed to hear what he had to say because I am just thrilled with how this car has been as my daily driver the past 3 years. I have 34K on the clock and it feels solid as the day I bought it. I never had a second thought about it before, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't trade up to a 12 or 13. Of course that means I'd be in a coupe... not my first choice simply because the B-pillar is in my blind spot on the E92. But I guess I could do ED. Hm. Trade-offs...

Anyhow, subscribed to this thread to see what other feedback comes in.
Appreciate 0