View Single Post
      06-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #92
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That is a little bit of apples to oranges... the C7 has 465 ft. lbs torque (more torque at 1,000 RPM than a 911 does at peak) in a car that weighs 3,298 lbs. That isn't comparable to the 335i. The Corvette, even the C6, is a very balanced car and handles extremely well. No car with this level of power and weight is well behaved for inexperienced drivers. It doesn't matter how well behaved a car is once you put that kind of power to the wheels. I have a friend who races and instructs and he tells me his GT2 RS with its huge torque actually scares him even though he knows what he is doing. He won't turn the stability controls off

If the C7 performs as promised (time will tell), then it will be an incredible track car. It's a very different type of car than the M3 or the C63 as it likely won't as nice for DD usage and has far less practicality but it is much more track oriented. I also believe that the magnetic suspension (a newer version of what is used by Ferrari on the 458) gives the car a very high level of balance and lets the car with uneven pavement mid corner or during braking with relative ease. The result at VIR is a clear indicator of that given a car that is $56K as tested is lapping right between the 458 Italia and the Gallardo.

Either way, time will tell once people start getting their hands on the car for testing. Until then, even with GM's lap times, it is hard to know how the car will ultimately perform. I'm betting it will do a 7:29 to 7:35 at the 'Ring which would be stellar... and only a car that is balanced (handles well, brakes well and has usable power) would be able to pull off times like that.
Yes I understand they are the same car but the same token you can't compare a rear engine car either. My car my be 250lbs heavier but it makes more torque at a lower rpm then the Corvette and it still is very forgiving. The Corvette is unforgiving and raw, this is a fact. There are people that prefer it that way as they want an "angry" car.

I'm not trashing Corvettes, I am just stating they are as well behaved as a lot of Sports Cars. I have no don't doubt the Corvette is going to be a beast. I am considering one but will wait a few years until they fix the bugs and I test drive it on a track. Also i can see how many grandmas but one lol I still wish it would have been AWD or Mid-Engine.
Appreciate 0