11-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #1033
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I think anyone who knows and works on engines knows the importance of having proper oil clearance and the result of not having proper oil clearance is usually not good.

I honestly think that the armchair experts don't understand how important it is having clearances set properly.
I don't think anyone in the thread, even the more skeptical members, are questioning the importance of proper bearing clearance. I'm just pointing out that in the interests of keeping this a factual thread, you cannot say that Clevite calls too small clearance the main cause when they make no such claim out of 7 possible causes. And secondly, you shouldn't be surprised that people make the logical jump from low clearance to engine failure. It could very well be that low clearance is causing these failures. I just don't think with a paragraph written that way it should be that surprising that with this data, and how that paragraph is written, it is natural that people jump to the conclusion that the low clearance is causing the failures, even if it doesn't come out and explicitly make that linkage.

Last edited by swartzentruber; 11-18-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0