11-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #1022
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
Another false dichotomy.
And what exactly do you think BMW is going to say to guy#2...
"what is it you say...there is someone on the internet who says BMW don't know crap about engines? Why didn't you say that sooner, have this new engine free on us"
BMW couldn't care less about some theory on the internet no matter how well it is dressed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
I don't think the word "dichotomy" means what you think it means.
"A false dichotomy is typically used in an argument to force your opponent into an extreme position -- by making the assumption that there are only two positions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
[....] I'm pretty sure you knew I was asking an ethics question. It very similar if I asked you if your motor blew and you planned to eat the cost of it knowing you had a tune. Or would you try to hide the tune, return the tune back to stock, then ask BMW for a warranty.
Both are very fair questions. I personally think most would try to get the free motor than stand on their ideals and ethics and eat the cost.
Ethics are very much a personal thing.
If someone dropped a large $ bill and walked off I would pick it up and gave it back.
If I got too much change from a small corner shop I would give it back.
Where it starts to get blurred is with big companies, if I got too much change from a large supermarket I would be far less bothered about fessing up.
I've never been in the position where I have had to lie to a car dealer to get the right thing done...(I have had to argue extensively to get the right thing done plenty times though)....so I don't know what I would do.
Appreciate 0