View Single Post
      04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Great to see the M3 in its natural habitat! You will have a blast taking this car to the track. It is an addiction.
This is my 4th track day if you include Nurburgring. As for it being an addiction, given that I just blew a few bills on mods specifically dreamed up while at the track, I concur.

Quote:
What track day organization was this? What run group were you in?
This was TEAM Racing. Fantastic group and highly recommended. All really fun people and all different kinds of cars, from unmodified Civics to a few full-on race cars (including probably the fastest NSX I've ever seen).

Quote:
I took mine to Infineon last month and was awed by the DCT and a little bit scared from the availability of power. While I can drive my R53 flat out most of the time at Infineon and Thunderhill, the M3 still needs tons of respect. I still have a lot to learn and I am looking forward to it. What was your experience like?
This was my second time at Thunderhill, although last time it was raining. If you think the M3 demands respect on dry roads, try it in the rain, trust me - it's a whole other level of fear. But it gave me lots of good technical practice that served me well this time, and I at least had a baseline for the turn speeds.

One thing another E9X guy pointed out to me was that the stock PS2s take a beating at the track. They tend to 'roll over' and the edges get chewed up, to say nothing of the gobbets of rubber-beef that are left towards the middle where they started to melt. The grip was fine, although had I a few more bills in my wallet I'd run at least Cups. Frankly it just gobbled up the track. Passed rarely and I'd attribute that at least 90% to the car, it's very forgiving and even in full-on M mode with DSC disabled it does its best to keep you going where you're aiming, as fast as possible.

Brakes got squishy later in the day unsurprisingly, which is partly why I just ordered a set of Pagid RS19s.

Quote:
Anyway, Miatas, Civics and MINIs eating up Corvettes especially in the lower run groups of trackdays indicates that the best mods are the ones applied to the driver.

Great video!
I dunno, my boyfriend's blown Z06 might disagree with you there. But a 600+ bhp cannon pretending to be a car will make up for a lot.

ps: lucid, you were right.

Also, here's some more video from later in the the day, just a (decent) lap behind an S2000 (I think? Might be a Miata). Whatever it was I'm pretty sure it wasn't stock, I couldn't catch him in the straights.