View Single Post
      01-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #60
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
So now you're saying that a car company has to win a F1 before they can compete or start making high performance cars. Please tell me you're kidding right?

So this means that the 5.7 from the Vette with 400hp or 430hp now is also mediocre in comparison. And that also applies to the 6.3 liter from the C63 that only makes 450hp. That's like saying the 3.0 from the 335i is a lesser engine because it took 2 turbos to make as much as the IS350 with a NA 3.5 V6. Let me give you a hint, almost any major car manufacturer can make any type of engine that they want with whatever hp they want as well. And another thing, the 4.8 from the BMW 650 only makes 360hp because they designed it that way. Just like Lexus chose the 5.0 with lots of torque instead of a high revving smaller engine because they wanted to go that route instead and they can. For another example, the 93' Supra Turbo with 3.0 liter L6 was making 320hp, that was 15yrs ago, way before the M3 broke the 300hp mark in Europe. The 6.5 V12 with 640hp from the Murcielago is not a lesser engine compare to the ZR1's 6.2 V8 with 620hp. I can go on and on with this, my point is your logic is really flawed and weak.
What is weak is the IS-F engine. They had a chance to blow away the M3 with a 5 liter engine instead they built a fast Camry.

Hey you want to compare technology right? BMW went all out and built a car worthy of the badge.

The S65 is a Worldwide engine. The Vette and ISF will get penalized / taxed for such a big displacement by tax, this would make the price / performance a lot worse for the ISF outside of North America.

The ISF engine is a massaged LS600 engine (thanks for the correction DC52E55). You would think if Lexus were serious about taking on BMW, they would go a clean sheet design.....to be completely overt, the S65 is a way superior engine to the ISF V8. Light, fast to rev, breathes great from 2500 rpm to redline.

And to put the icing on the cake, with the new pricing of the M3, the ISF is irrelevant.

There is always the next cycle Lexus.....