View Single Post
      11-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I guess I just don't understand the mindset of some of these drivers - it would be like me in my stock E93 trying to compete against a Z06 or Viper who pulled up next to me - I love my car, and yes it's a high performer, but let's be realistic here!!

I guess I'm curious as to what percentage of such drivers "with attitude" and who can't back it up fall into each of the following categories:

1) know nothing about cars (in other words, think an old beat up 7-8 year old Jetta with cheesy yellow headlights, a half-fallen-off front bumper and a coffee can exhaust actually has a chance vs. new but fully broken-in M3);

2) actually do know that certain cars are faster than most (M, AMG, corvette, etc.) but are so emotionally wrapped up in their own cars (i.e., same crappy old Jetta as above) that they nevetheless think they can compete if they step on the gas hard enough; or

3) know the respective cars are mismatched, but just want to see what the faster car can do (newer VW with 2.0T engine - very nice and capable car, but still a mismatch, so why bother)?

I guess this is just one of those issues of human psychology (as expressed through people's cars) that I've always found interesting...
Appreciate 0