12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontrelli View Post
I agree with some of your points..especially the right to bear arms..which I staunchly support.. However the gunmen in these scenarios already have a death wish and most often commit these heinous acts with the intention of dying (either by their hand or someone else's) So not sure how much good arming teachers would be, what the gov't (federal, state and local) needs to do is have secure entry and exit points, with armed guards/officers and metal detectors at EACH AND EVERY school..period..Just like the courts

How many school shootings have to happen before the politicians realize this?
I can't disagree that this would drastically if not totally fix the school shooting problem. But the logistics are daunting at best.

Most people grossly underestimate the number of public schools in this country. There are 109 public schools in my county. Each school has multiple entry points since the lions share of them are not fenced in. (only about 35 are fenced in) It's a logistical nightmare and a tremendous financial burden. I do work in these schools and i can tell you right now there almost no way to make this happen. Each county has a different school board, with different ways of doing things and different budgets, etc.... The school boards where i am don't even have a 10th of the budget that would be necessary to even procure the tangible materials needed to make this happen let alone the annual salary of the security personnel.

Don't get me wrong, i like the idea, but it's got an ice cubes chance in hell of happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
This idea sounds good to me..

People who teach grade 1 students tend to have a certain disposition in order to be good at that. It seems intuitively implausible that someone who is gifted at communicating with 8 year olds would be well suited to remain calm while accurately returning gunfire with an assailant. Just like how a trained, armed badass at the locked door, who could fall back on his training and coldly take down a shooter at the school would also not likely be naturally gifted in the area of teaching poetry to sensitive young girl.

Put people in the roles they are best at, or have been trained for, rather than arming the teachers.
Agree, ideally all teachers would be retired special opps personnel but that's about as likely as the scenario above.