01-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #368
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisherx View Post
Yeah..so basically what I ended up doing was removing about 0.7 of a liter from the oil filter housing to bring me back down to 8.8 liters. After driving for about two days, the sensor leveled off right in the middle of min and max. I drove it that way for about a week, and since I didn't see any change, I added 0.25 of a liter back to bring me right to about 9 liters. This made the gauge jump back to the max line. I've left it like that for now and haven't had any change in level. At this point I am satisfied with 9 liters of oil in the car, and the gauge reading at max.

In the end, I wasn't comfortable running 0.7 liters over the recommended 8.8 liter fill when changing the oil and the filter. Nine liters total ended up as the sweet spot for me (or for my finicky digital oil gauge I should say )

To follow-up with my experience...My gauge continued to tell me I needed to +1qt even though I knew I had put in 9qts. Following everyone's feedback I did not add more oil but kept driving for a few days. While driving down the interstate I would hold the reset and surprising the gauge would go to 3/4 full, so I would reset again and it would say 1/2 full and I continued to do this and it would just eventually tell me to +1qt. Sitting in the garage I would continue to reset and I would get +1qt.

Conclusion...Change the oil level sensor. So...Captain Obvious headed to the dealership and picked up a new oil level sensor. I dropped the oil into a brand new oil pan because it only had a couple hundred miles on it and replaced my oil level sensor.

With the new sensor I am now, consistently, showing half way on the gauge which I feel is pretty true given I may have not captured all the oil when I put it back in the car.

Car is an 08 with 106k miles.

I plan on dissecting the old oil level sensor when I get my dremel back from a friend. I'll post pictures when I have some.