captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I believe that article predates the announcement that the F10 M5 would be using the 7DCT and not the 8AMT, even as many sources claimed the ZF DCT would not be able to cope with the torque from the S63.
I am not sure whether that article came out before the announcement or not. FWIW McLaren is using a DCT (with no MT available) in the MP4-12C whcih has 443 Lb/Ft of torque.

I heard ZF engineers speak at a presentation and they said that they expected that future versions of "traditonal" planetary gear automatic transmissions would rival and perhaps match the peformance of DCTs. They also felt that a torque converter is a very good device for smooth starts and as long as they get locked up at low speeds they have negligable effect on performance and efficiency.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0