05-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #47
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Make some new friends.
I suppose I should've said "Nobody I know who has automotive knowledge and experience..."

...since in actuality the E46 wasn't peaky at all.

Quote:
Not sure I agree.
What? You're saying you're not sure an M3 with more power and especially more torque in the typical on track operating range would be a quicker and faster car? Wow. I guess we can more or less figure out the depth of your automotive knowledge then, can't we.

Quote:
You're just speculating,
Yes.

Quote:
essentially second guessing countless hours of R&D from some very good engine designers.
Yes.

I'm on really solid ground, however. It would be child's play for BMW's engineers to match the power and torque-per-liter numbers from a previous (and mildly outdated) design. Since fuel economy obviously wasn't in play, the sky's the limit, power and torque-wise.

Yes, the breadth of the torque curve in the current engine is in fact spectacular from my point of view, but they could've sacrificed some of that for significantly higher numbers and a quicker car.

It in fact would be nice to watch the C63 driver at the light in the next lane mess with his radio to avoid facing you, instead of you messing with your radio.

Quote:
Because it's all very academic isn't it - you don't own a current model M3 and complain about it's engine, I do and and don't.
An E9X M3 isn't in my garage not because of its engine - about which I've written more flowery words of praise than you have - but because it's too big and fat in my opinion compared to the two previous models which have graced our garage. And of those, the E36 was my favorite, for the same reasoning.

Bruce
Appreciate 0