View Single Post
      08-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C200 AMG Sport

To BMW or not to BMW?

Hi, I'm a newbie here on the forum. My young wife is still trying to get her drivers licence. 3rd time lucky I hope

We are in Australia and once she gets her licence, she needs a car. I'm a luxury car fanatic and own a Holden Caprice [top of the range].

When my wife gets her licence to drive she wont be allowed to drive my car due to state laws. First two years, no one is allowed to drive a V8 vehicle.

So I'm thinking of buying her a brand new small car like an hyandai etc or a pre-owned BMW 3 series. In our price range is the 318i-320i/2000-2003 models with about 100,000km on the odometer. (I looked at Merc C class but reliability they are shocking. Took one for a test drive when I was looking for a car myself and the interior was falling apart... that was at a Merc dealer).

I'd like to have your advice please. Would a BMW with 100,000km KM's be a bad choice? The reason I'm thinking BMW is because its something my wife and I can both enjoy (when I'm not driving the Caprice). Of course the argument is that a new small car for the same price has a 3-5 year warranty and the pre-owned BMW would have no or at best a used car warranty.

How reliable are these older BMWs?

What are you opinions on this please?
Appreciate 0