05-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #63
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Hi Technic

I have been following this thread with great interest. So what you're saying is that the new iDrive controller (with individual buttons) will work with the old (07 to LCI) iDrive system? Do I need to purchase a new wiring harness to mate the new controller to the old system or will the existing harness be fine. Thanks for your informative input so far.
The console is available to order since last week, the cheapest price that I found is $275 from United BMW.

I should receive the new controller and console in a couple of weeks (there is none in stock in the USA) according to United.

There is nothing else to buy so far... it is plug 'n play to the existing connectors and no re-coding is required for the new controller to work with the iDrive version with the programmable shortcut buttons. It doesn't work with the first iDrive version in the 3-Series.

The rest of the retrofit parts are becoming more expensive since this month... the new HD screen price was raised by BMW in almost 80%, from around $1000 to some $1800 retail, plus a $500 core charge still.
Appreciate 0