View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
I have a dry filter on the CTS-V(similar to the amsoil filters or other 'dry' non-oiled synthetic paper media filters), it's 'supposed' to filtrate to 99% effeciency down to 10 microns.. cotton gauze filters are anywhere between 80-94%.

truthfully, I wouldn't want to sacrafice silicon increases for single digit whp gains. I'd keep the stock filter and save the bearings or rings on my 40K engine. Certinally problems won't manafest themselves immediatly, but over time they will.

The bottom line is nothing will filter like a paper filter. Nothing. Everything will be a trade-off of some sort, and there's simply no data to prove that air filters are a significant cause of engine wear other than that UOA's typically return higher silicon, *and* that most engine wear occurs at 5-microns or less.. which just so happens to be where these filters are unable to filtrate.

ultimately, this matters a lot more for 16 wheeler trucks that turn a million miles or more.. and not really for consumer sports engines that bearly see 150K.. but if you're anal about such matters well.. then it's important D:
I see your point, but I highly doubt you will find any build up due to our filter.
Appreciate 0