View Single Post
      09-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Cause I trust that he is much more capable than me.

I have personally never bedded pads in before while he has does it on a regular basis.

Also...I assume you haven't driven on the 101 freeway lol.

There isn't a stretch where I could do 60mph then stop then go to 60mph

There are cars on there all the time, except between 3am to 5am.

But I do have a couple of spots I could try out :P

How can I try to get the residue off?

I had the OEM pads on for about 6500 miles or so, and maybe 7 track days? less? more? long day today so I can't really think lol
The only way I have ever removed previous pad transfer material is by bedding. You don't need to come to a stop, but you should brake a few times from speed in excess of 60 also, if possible. Read the material on the StopTech web site.

The OE pads are not known for problematic transfers, and if they were not squealing before, I'm kind of doubtful that is the problem. But, that doesn't mean that proper bedding will not solve it, since the current pad/rotor contact area might not yet be 100%. Usually, you can tell by looking at the rotor. You should see a totally smooth, unbroken area of contact on the rotor. This sometimes requires several bedding sessions to achieve, since you can't get these pads as hot as race pads. I've had no noise at all from the ST pads that came with my brakes, which is the same high performance street pad.
Appreciate 0