01-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #316
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I don't think they're doing it for meeting the emission targets. I don't have knowledge, but the government won't kill all the high power (ie high emission engines). It is against capitalism. That being said, it may (and I think it does) require that the the range of cars has to meet certain (average) mpg. I simply think that BMW is giving up on this. They wanna make more money. Which is fine, it is their company. I will just take my business else where in the future. The Ferrari 458 vs 430 is the best example out there. If a company wants to make a more powerful AND more efficient engine, they can make it.

And with all due respect, BMW is the biggest hypocrite here. They talk about efficieny, and only bring 335d here. Really? Wtf happened to 316d, 318d, 320d, and 325d?
Good post. From what I know this is correct: BMW has to meet a "fleet average consumption" (or emission). With the percentage of M3s (or M3s and M5s for that matter) being so small compared to all other BMWs, along with the decisions from other manufacturers to keep NA or a NA line, I am tending toward the belief that this is all about profit not "big bad governments". I am going to run some numbers to try to see how much M3 mpg affects the entire fleet. I am on vacation though so not spending much time on the computer...

Let's try to get to the bottom of this! Is BMW being forced (perhaps forced for all practical purposes) or is it nothing but greed... We can't continue to say the former unless it really is the case.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0