View Single Post
      05-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #46
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

color sanding

I think I can offer some input here. I had a small restoration/body shop when I was in school... I would paint old benz's and 2002's. Typically I would use a two part urethane paint, about 5 coats. Couldn't prevent orange peel. But, I could take care of it after. I would wet sand using special wet sanding paper designed for color sanding. This would be in grits from 1200 on up to 2400. You use a small rubber block and lots of water. Hope that the car is totally clean to keep grit from getting caught up and scratching the surface deeply. All ways go in one direction, not circular, or you would create swirls that will never come out. Good lighting is a must as you want to see the progress has you slowly cut down the high points of the orange peel. Eventually, as you carefully sand down the texture becomes smooth without any bumps. Then you proceed with machine buffing using course, then fine compounds. The resulting finish is mirror like without orange peel. The downside is you have removed a good amount of paint thickness in the process. I planned ahead for this by adding two extra coats. My worry in doing this to a new car is that the clear coat is so thin you would be taking down valuable microns to get the smooth finish. Also there is something about the original clear coat that is so tough, but if you cut the glossly top layer is seems to be less resistant to injury. I would be really scared about finding a detailer I would trust with this project as it takes extreme attention to detail and a delicate touch.....
Appreciate 0