09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #106
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
^ I agree with all of the above. But the main reason I use BT for short trips isn't because it's too much effort to connect the cable. It's because I very often forgot to get my phone out of the armrest again when I arrived. BT allows me to keep my phone in my pocket. I don't listen to music on my phone often enough that checking the armrest would have become a habit, so for the few times I do want music from my phone, as long as it's a short trip I'd rather enjoy the convenience at the cost of some audio fidelity. Longer trips, wired all the way -- unless it's a long FUN drive, in which case it's windows down and engine revs up.
+1

So...my 64 GB iPhone 4s is now loaded with 50 GB of music (playlists), and resides permanently in the Snap-In Media Adapter. It has no cellular service anymore. It uses bluetooth to connect to the iRadar. The new iPhone 5 uses bluetooth for phone and SMS-on-iDrive....and on long trips, use the Lighting-USB-cable to keep it charged. This scenario works really well.

Someone suggested using the built-in BMW hard drive to store music, saying it's superior. Using that creates burdensome playlist modifications, no album art work, and a UI that is fairly fifteen years out of date.

If I didn't already have a iPhone 4s, I would have looked for a used iPhone 4 (so it fits in the Snap-In Media Adapter) that even could have been a bit scratched and dented -- all it does is ride in the armrest...doesn't have to look pretty.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0