View Single Post
      05-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

This is a well-worn topic to which you will find many varied opinions and experiences. Having had track experience with a half-dozen or so different cars and dealers, I will offer one more. Manufacturers write their warranty exclusions in a manner that offers arguable, and often compelling support for both track use and any modification voiding warranty coverage. In some cases of denied coverage, the owner may ultimately prevail in an adversarial proceeding, if sufficient time and money are available. I will recommend two rules: 1) Choose a dealer that has a history of being supportive of DE events, if possible; and, 2) Assume that any modification could have the effect of compromising warranty coverage.
Some dealers will offer very unfair and unsupportable responses to a warranty claim if any modification is observed, regardless of how benign. Unfortunately, that puts the owner in the potential position of having to pursue a frustrating and expensive course to gain coverage. It is wise counsel to choose your dealer carefully, and maintain a positive relationship with those folks. You may need their support one day.
Appreciate 0