Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg893 View Post
Hi All,
Before i get flamed for "posting without searching", i did run a search. I couldnt find the info i was looking for.

Okay, here is my question.
I am in Sydney Australia [no, thats not the question yet, rather a statement]

I have a 09/08 BUILT E92 DCT.
90,000kms, and typical Rod Bearing/ Main Bearing/ Crankshaft failure.
As opposed to fixing it, went to a reputable wrecker here in Sydney, and they "sourced" another engine for me, from a "2011" M3 with 18,000kms on it. Paid $20k installed.
While i was at it, i said to them, i want the DCT from that car too, so i knew i had a pretty new gearbox too. (at an additional cost)

Anyway, all installed within 2 weeks. Car runs great. Feels strong. Though i had a Eurocharged Tune on the old engine, and have yet to verify if the tune is still on there. (thats not a biggie though)

The thing is, they were going to supply some evidence of the engine history, but still they havnt.

I have the engine number of the "new" engine [20364572S65B40A], and i wanted to know, how can i get the VIN of the car the "new" engine i purchased, was in, from the engine number.
Or, within the engine number, is there a way to decipher it, to tell the year/month of the production of the engine?

I am at a loss, because i just want to satisfy my own mind, that the engine i bought is in fact from a 2011. The place where i bought it from is stalling big time, pushing my suspicions higher.

Are the engine numbers produced in sequential order?
If they are, the engine that WAS in my car, that was blown, is a HIGHER engine number [21914377S65B40A], than the one they installed, which means the engine they installed is OLDER than 09/08.

Any assistance from someone in the know would be great.
Thanks guys
Totally feel your suspicion mate. BMW obviously should be able to correlate between engines and cars, I'd demand the dealer to prove their case!
Appreciate 0