swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
swamp2,

I think your estimates for all cars are a little low, especially at higher speeds. On at least 3 tests the M3 has better 25.6s to 150mph yet in your figures it's a full second slower that that, the same applies to the Lexus. We already have tests showing the Lexus better your times and those of the M3 so why sugar coat it in the M3's favour.

I do believe that the M3 with DCT will be a little quicker but I doubt BMW will optimise the gears purely for acceleration, best guess would estimate the first 6 gears staying basically the same with 7th just increasing it's top end and long distance economy. I reckon the only real improvement between manual and DCT will come from the shift times which I reckon your figures are ever so slightly optimistic as the car will have only changed gears 4 times not 5.
Look it may be semantics but these are not "MY" estimates. These are physics based simulations using a commericial software program. When you say these numbers are low you should specify, low compared to what - the worst times, the best times, an average time. In general CarTest figures correlate well with the better times from mags but less often the best times. The thing about a deterministic simulation is that you get the same physics, same launch and same outcome every time. Isn't that in many ways better than the huge variation you get from magazines? I know gbb357 will never uderstand this, but it is a valid and valuable part of simulation.

Furthermore I am not sugar coating anyhting. How is showing the IS-F faster than the M3 MT (which is consistent with test data BTW) sugar coating anything?? You are simply wrong here! Also, for the millionth time simulation is BETTER at comparing relative times rather than absolute times.

I definitely disagree with you about the gear ratios BMW will choose for the 7 M-DCT, why make the car get better mileage thorugh gearing with the DCT itself will do that. Why not use closer ratios as well when you have 7 instead of 6 to cover the same total speed range. Do you think they need to make the high revving engine product faster speeds at very low engine rpm ala a Z06 You OPINIONS simply make no sense here.

Last I have no idea what you mean about 4 vs. 5 shifts. The software shifts all car in simulation at the optimum shift point to maximize acceleration, red line or below redline. I have used .25 s for MT shift speeds, .1 s for IS-F and .03 s for M-DCT. If you can find better data than that and want to run some simulations youself go for it.
Appreciate 0