01-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #42
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
I still have a 6 speed manual in the S2000, so every time I get in the S2000 I am reminded why I drive a manual, and every time I get in the M3, I'm reminded why I have an M-DCT. It's all rather confusing, but in a pleasantly enjoyable way.
I get what you're saying. The S2000 shifter is sublime... And there are some cars I must have in manual (like our Miata).

Yes, I think the 6MT will have less potential issues down the road, but I really prefer the DCT mated to the current M3. So it was more important to me to enjoy it for as long as I have it, than to worry about "what if" down the road...

I recently tested an F30 335i M-Sport with the M-Sport short shifter. Wow, much nicer than the E92 335i M-Sport with M-Sport short shifter. If I were buying a 335i sedan today, I'd get a manual over the new, faster-shifting and more fuel efficient 8AT. I would also consider a new M3/M4 with manual, depending on how nice the manual feels. I suspect however, BMW will do what they did with the E9x M3 and F10 M5: build the new car with a dual clutch transmission in mind