View Single Post
      07-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
roofone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

To try and get the official answer I called BMW, who said to call my dealer, who didn't seem to know but said "they probably weren't intended to be used that way."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I wonder what the problem with using the the anchors to mount the seat in the middle in the general case? It seems like, as long as the spacing is correct, it should be perfectly fine.
So in lieu of offical word, I dug up the thread where I got my info originally: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2691344,

Convincing bit here:

"The distance between the lower anchors is defined as 280mm (11") apart on center and is the same as the ISO-FIX standard found in Europe. It is not arbitrary and is not a 'function of specific dimensions of the vehicle seat.' When you use the inner two anchor points from the outer seats for a center seat install, the anchors greatly exceed 11" in the Q7 (around 16-17"). Do you know or can you say with conviction that the anchors were designed and tested with a force load that is different than the LATCH standard? I don't and can't, so whenever I use the middle seat, I always use the seat belt -- why chance it?"

So a car seat may be fine in the middle of the E90 if the spacing is right, but, for me, it isn't worth the risk.

Last edited by roofone; 07-23-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0