bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I'm assuming that you are a beginner to intermediate student? I'd recommend against NT01s and get a less grippier tire. The RS3 and PSS are good choices. I know...some say that PSS won't handle the track use. They do. It all comes down to managing the tires.

The reason why I recommend against NT01s is that they will allow you to form bad habits. There is more grip so you can get pretty stupid and you'll stay on track. Until you continue to move up and then when things get really fast and they let go. Once the NT01s are making noise...you're already pretty sideways. Stay on street tires and learn how to manage them meaning staying within the limits of grip and not overcooking your tires. Then if you do spin or go off...you'll be doing so at much lower speeds and there is less of a chance of hitting something. You're forced to be smooth on your inputs. Then as you have already experienced, it forces you to manage the tires.

The trick with R-Comps is that you aren't always driving at the max grip of an r-comp...but drive at the max grip of a street tire and then in certain places use that extra grip the R-comp affords. Otherwise you'll cook and cord tires pretty quickly. I've learned this expensive lesson and I see people experience it every weekend. Some learn...others don't care because they have lots of money.

I think the one skill that you really need to have down when going to R-Comps is excellent car control. Generally speaking as tires get stickier and can handle more slip angle...the peakier they are so that means a stickier tire will generally let go more abrubtly. So you really have to be ahead of the car with a really sticky tire.

Here's a video...I was on conti slick scrubs with I would say the car control skills of an average newbie intermediate driver. The car was rotating well before I got onto the rumble strips. Dead silent until I was about 270 degrees.

2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0