Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Great thread idea. My submission bends the "save" rule a bit: I didn't save the car from spinning, but I did manage to save it from hitting the tire wall.
We can be a little flexible on this rule. At least an attempt must be made to save it. Don't post videos of you driving straight off the track...even though that is the correct way to go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
you guys are nuts. i had one last week in the rain that got me to pucker up. saved it but didnt get video.
I'm always shooting for that nice 6-8 degrees of slip angle...sometimes I go a little over. Sometimes I go a lot over. The chapter on tires in Speed Secrets was extremely informative.

When the car starts rotating, my mind set is simply to keep the front wheels in the direction that I want to go and balancing the car with throttle. I only touch the steering wheel to recollect the car. You are only using throttle and maybe brake to steer and control the car so smooth throttle and brake inputs are a must. I think a lot of people try holding onto the wheel and turn it themselves. So the car rotates faster than they can turn the wheel. Then the 4 wheels grip but now the front tires are pointed off track which is now where they will go.

If you look at the front tires in my compilation video...they are always pointed in my intended direction of travel.

By balance, I think of a container of water...which way is the water sloshing, where do I need that water to go, what do I need to do to make it go there, and I know I need to be smooth so I don't slosh the water out of the other side...a smooth transition from front to rear or left to right or one corner to another. As I've told many but none have followed...drifting will QUICKLY give you strong car control skills. I did one drift practice and that was a tremendous learning tool. Best $50 I've spent so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
I love the "Woo-hoo!" at the end.
I thought green pastures were in my future for sure but I just held it. I was thinking about the spin I had there, in the rain, about a month ago. MSR Houston is getting to be treacherous in the rain, especially carousel (the turn in the vid) which is getting extra bad.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 02-01-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0