02-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
I've got more questions on this process.. I just spoke with my bank and unfortunately, the rep I spoke with was a COMPLETE idiot so I'm on my own until I get a hold of someone that knows more.

If I live in New York (military), and I buy the car in Arizona (for example), but I want to register the car in either Texas (my home state) or New York, how does the taxes work?? Once I register the car, they're going to want me to pay sales taxes in the state that I register it in right? I dont pay sales tax in Arizona, the place I purchased the car right? How the F does this work?

Now I see why people go to the stealership, this private seller shit is for the birds.
I purchased my car from Kansas City from a private seller; registered in Texas and paid Texas tax when I registered. He was financed and I was financed as well; I paid him cash plus a check from my bank and he paid off his loan and gave me a bill of sale along with title when I went to pick up the car (apparently MO lets you possess the title even if you have a loan against the car). He also sent me a copy of the lien release he received from his bank. When I registered in Texas, they took possession of the previous title and the lien release and sent the new title to my bank. Wasn't a ridiculously bad process at all.

PS I used PenFed for my loan and their customer service was pretty awesome. It took a while to get the loan actually processed, but when it came to questions and availability, I have no complaints.

Last edited by roddyc; 02-13-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0